Thursday, July 26, 2012

PHILLIPS IDOWU READY FOR GOLD MEDAL DREAMS IN LONDON SUMMER OLYMPICS 2012


Phillips Olaosebikan Idowu MBE born on December 30, 1978 in the London Borough of Hackney is a Nigerian-English triple jumper. He was the 2009 World Champion, the 2008 World Indoor champion and reigning 2010 EAA European Champion representing Great Britain and Northern Ireland, as well as 2006 Commonwealth Games champion representing England and 2007 European Indoor champion. He also won the silver medal representing Team GB at the 2008 Summer Olympics.

Team GB triple jumper and gold medal hope Phillips Idowu has denied rumours that he is suffering an injury ahead of the Olympic Games.

However, the 34-year-old did say that the reports have allowed him to focus on getting his London 2012 preparations spot on.

He told thesportfeed.com: “I’ve not mentioned anything about any injury and nobody has actually heard the words come out my mouth, from my coach or any of my representatives so I kind of let that rumour build, stir itself and give me an opportunity to focus purely on my preparation for the games which I think are going really well.”

The stories surrounding Idowu’s non-injury surfaced after he withdrew from a competition in Oregon.

Idowu said: “I pulled out after the second or third round because I slipped on the board.

“It was wet, it was rainy. It happens. It was wet and your foot slips. I didn’t want to take any chances.”

The decision was made as the triple jumper had competed twice in the previous few weeks, and the south-Londoner did not want to put his health at risk.

He added: “It’s Olympic year so I don’t want to do anything to jeopardise my chances of performing in the best possible shape that I can be for the games.”

As for the games themselves, Idowu’s low-key season so far has been to his benefit, allowing him to concentrate on his training regime.

He said: “It being a massive championship for me, being born and raised in East London, I’m glad I’ve had the time to focus on what I need to do to go out and perform really well.

“This year I’ve kind of kept myself to myself.

“The people most important to me, my family, my reps and my coach and that’s the small circle of people I work with and are involved with in my preparation for the games.

“I always feel when it comes to competing for medals; you’ll get the best out of me.”

Having missed out on to Portugal’s Nelson Evora in Beijing in 2008, Idowu is looking to reach the top step of the London podium and fulfil a lifetime ambition.

He said: “Winning an Olympic gold in the pinnacle of any athlete’s life.

“Any child that’s thought of being an athlete has always wanted to win an Olympic gold medal you don’t see kids race in the park or playground shouting ‘Yay, I’ve got Olympic silver’.

“That’s not the ultimate dream. I’ve always been one of those kids.

“I’ve always dreamt of being an Olympic champion.”

0 comments:

Post a Comment